Skip to main content

Cornell University

Space Use Best Practices

Access to classroom and event space is provided to support mission-driven activities of the institution. University policies are designed to promote understanding of the conditions under which an internal Cornell group or unit may reserve space on campus for non-class activities.  These policies also promotes more efficient use of campus space in accordance with the Cornell University Space Management Principles.

When reserving space, please adhere to the following best practices:

At the end of your reservation, please take these steps to prepare the space for the next reservation.

  • The final ten minutes of a reservation period must be used to clean up and vacate the space. There may be other people waiting to occupy the room for the next reservation.
  • Clean the whiteboards and place chairs and tables in the spaces' original order.
  • Do not remove any chairs or tables from the space. To ensure our spaces are properly equipped, please do not remove chairs, tables, or other furniture.
  • Remove leftovers and garbage.
    • Your organizer must make sure these are removed before leaving the space! If you don't know where to put the leftovers and garbage, contact the building staff to find the appropriate location; a clean-up fee may be charged to the reserving group if not followed.
    • Our Campus Operations team performs routine custodial maintenance in classrooms only once per weekday.  For clean up of non-hazardous spills, bathrooms that are out of toilet paper, or any non-scheduled cleanup please report the problem to your Building Coordinator.
  • Leave classroom, meeting room, conference room doors as you find them.

Reserving Space on Campus

When planning an event, you should reserve your location as soon as possible through Scheduling. For more information on how to find the right location, how to submit a reservation, or have other Scheduling questions, please visit the Get Help section of the Scheduling website.

If you are planning on using Appel Fields or the Rawlings Green (North Campus), you must meet with Brigitta Putnam (607-255-7738) to discuss policies and procedures for using the fields.

If you are planning on using Bailey Hall, please note that a specific set of procedures must be followed. For information on reserving Bailey Hall, along with policies and procedures, please visit

Outdoor Recreational Space

Registered Student Organizations and other Cornell community groups may reserve outdoor recreational spaces on the North and West Campus. There are two sand volleyball courts near Dickson Hall (CKB quad) and an outdoor basketball court at Noyes Community Recreation Center.  For more information on reserving outdoor recreational space, please visit

Merchandise Approval - Using Cornell's name, logo, and/or artwork on merchandise

Cornell, like most major colleges and universities, has a policy and a licensing program that regulates the use of its marks (i.e., names, trademarks, insignia, logos, images, and the like) on items such as T-shirts, caps, key chains, mugs, pens, banners, table cloths, stickers, etc. This process helps prevent bootlegging, ensures that Cornell marks are used appropriately on quality products approved by the university and that the products are manufactured under a labor code of conduct that prohibits sweatshop conditions. All uses of university name and marks, including those of schools and colleges, departments, programs, and student organizations and projects that are identified with Cornell, must be approved before any item can be ordered and produced.

For your request to be approved you must select a manufacturer that is licensed by Cornell University. A list of licensed manufacturers is available online (see the bottom section of the list). A separate request form must be submitted for each item. Cornell University's Brand Center includes the required online request form to obtain approval for merchandise designs. Submissions are typically reviewed within 48 business hours and you will receive an email with formal approval, or instructions on how to make the design compliant. The email approval is required for expense reimbursement and should be obtained before placing an order.

Conducting Sales on Cornell's Campus

Cornell University has very specific policies regarding conducting sales on Cornell's campus. All those involved with sales activity must be members of the Cornell community. For specific information and policies, view Cornell's policy on Sales Activities on Campus.

Private Companies/Businesses on Campus

Private companies may not use Cornell's educational tax-exempt property and resources for their own business purposes, unless as part of a Cornell sponsored recruiting program or other Cornell sponsored educational event. This includes sales, marketing, and promotions of individual businesses. In short, students, classes, departments, etc. cannot be used as a 'front' for a business to gain access to the campus, student, staff and faculty market.


Cornell University promotes an inclusive and welcoming environment for all people and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, every program, service, and activity needs to be prepared to be accessible for people with disabilities. Please review the guide to planning accessible events at Cornell: and specifically review the accessibility checklist at If you have questions about accessibility elements at a location you are considering, please contact for more information.

On the Event Registration Form, you will be asked to describe how you plan to accommodate guests who may require accessibility related to their disability: consider parking issues, access to facilities, interpreters, etc. Your event will be reviewed for accessibility by University personnel prior to authorization for the event.

Alcohol at Events

If you are registering an event where alcohol will be served, you must complete all required information on the Event Registration Form. Please be sure you have all of the caterer's information, and you are familiar with Cornell University's Alcohol Policy.

Food at Events

If you are having food at your event, and are self-catering, be prepared to explain your plans with a food safety specialist. This information should include the menu, food sources, method of preparation, where the food production will take place, transportation of the food, style of service, etc. If the event will be catered, the caterer must be an approved caterer with Cornell University (see approved caterer list).

Open Fires

Events with open fires, including campfires and bonfires, require an open burning permit in addition to the Event Registration Form. Open burning permits can not be filed online and may be obtained from Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) at 201 Palm Road. See the EHS Event Management site for more information and guidelines regarding event safety.

Noise Permits

If your event requires a noise permit, please visit the City of Ithaca website for information about completing the noise permit.

Required Insurance and Payment/Reimbursement Guidelines

Please be aware that Cornell will not reimburse students or student organizations for any payments made directly to a vendor for services or fees such as lecture/speaking engagements, photography, video, coaching/lessons, referees, entertainment, etc. For tax reporting purposes, Cornell MUST initiate the payment to the vendor so the income is reflected on the vendor's IRS 1099. Otherwise, it gives the appearance that the vendor is receiving income under-the-table from Cornell.

Vendors providing a service must also meet Cornell's insurance requirements in advance of them coming to campus and/or performing the service. For University Organizations, please contact your department's Business Service Center. For Independent/External Organizations, please contact Loreen Geiger ( Caterers are required to submit a separate Insurance Certificate for your event(s).


Cornell University is committed to sustainability. When planning your event, there are many ways to ensure that you can incorporate these goals, including following mandatory composting if you will have food. To learn more about including sustainability, check out the Sustainable Events Planning Guide, or learn more about Cornell's commitment to sustainability at Contact for assistance with making your event sustainable.

Parking and Transportation Issues

When planning your event, take into consideration any parking and/or transportation. For example, will you need to reserve parking spots near the venue for your speaker? Does your speaker/performer need parking permits? Will the event draw traffic from off-campus, requiring you to reserve parking areas or need staff directing traffic? For information, visit Cornell's Commuter and Parking Services website.

University Events Team (UET)

The University Events Team (UET), formerly Event Management Planning Team (EMPT), is comprised of various university officials who will review the details of your event, and offer their approval and/or comments. UET meets weekly (as needed) on Thursdays at 3:00 pm in the Cornell Police Conference Room located in Barton Hall. To get on the agenda, please contact Jennifer Lovell at (607) 253-8368 by Tuesday of the week you'd like to attend.